22.02.2010 I began teaching for a new school today and I was able to make an observation, which can follow along my ideas of taking numerous hobbies as a child aids them in their success in dancing. Whilst stretching I noticed three children who were much more capable and motivated to stretch, I asked these children if they did any other form of exercise and they continued to answer Gymnastics and Karate. I hadn’t really thought about Karate’s impacts on dance but now I see that also the balance, co-ordination and discipline mirrors what is done in dance. I also watched one particular child who took part in both my ballet and street jazz class stand out with confidence and capabilities. She later told me that she ‘really liked dancing and tried to do as many different styles of it because Cheryl Coles dancers don’t just do hip-hop’ I thought this was a very grown up comment from an 8 year old but also a valid comment for my future project. Later on I asked her if she would like to be a dancer and she replied that she didn’t know yet, this is also something I could look into,’ the age of which careers need to be decided and does it differ for each specific career and does this alter the enjoyment factor of hobbies needing to be taken more seriously earlier?
Focusing on my first choice of topic idea, what do I already know about it?
• I as a professional dancer can see the importance of being able to perform gymnastic moves, be versatile in dance styles, sing and act is when being successful at an audition.
• Many castings ask for extra skills on top.
• When I take my classes I notice that the children with other activities as well as their dance classes such as gymnastics, find the movements easier.
• I also notice that sometimes the children with numerous hobbies look tired and lack energy.
What don’t I know?
• How important is it to begin skills such as dancing, singing, acting, music, gymnastics younger rather than older?
• How do children’s brains develop, is intensive training from a young age necessity or healthy for their development?
• Do the children who embark on all these specific hobbies enjoy them or are they forced to go?
• What does the effects of Puberty have on their training, and does this mean that teaching from a young age should be kept fun and focused more in depth in teenage years?
• What effects of competitive sports have on children?
• Do the children have a specific goal they are reaching for? Do they want to step into a career in dancing?
• What level a Childs concentration, co-ordination, communication and confidence should be at the age that they begin numerous hobbies
• How to measure these skills.
• What literature is their to support this topic idea, and is it accessible?
What can I achieve from this project and who will benefit?
• For future reference to create my own dance schools and workshops with a variety of activities that benefit children and young adults who want to pursue a career in theatre.
• I will learn how children’s brains work in response to different teaching methods and what is most effective at each age
• Children and young adults who want to follow a career in dance will be able to embark on activities that I will have researched that make a positive impact on their success, confidence and versatility as a dancer.
• Parents who take their children into numerous activities will see the positive and negative effects of such intense training and lack of free time.
Will I be able to access enough information about my chosen topic and what will I need to be careful of?
• I will need parental consent of the children that I teach that they are willing to be questioned.
• I teach at 3 dance schools with 100-150 pupils each access to information should be simple once consent is given. Returning to my college and one other will provide the information from colleges.
• Depending on where I am in the world this should still be attainable due to the schools intranet sites and email addresses. Case studies and interviews may have to be completed within phone call sessions or web cam sessions.
• I have already got substantial literature about children’s development in dance and their mental and cognitive development from a lifespan module of my dance teaching exam. I will need to find literature regarding the versatility and emphasis on numerous skills in dance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment