Saturday, 20 February 2010

Journal entry 20.02.2010

Whilst teaching my classes this week I begin to think about my research project and think about if my idea of a hypothesis is apparent in the children I teach. Looking at specific younger children (9-11years) who I know do extra curricular activities (such as gymnastics, music, drama) I do see not only a difference in there technical ability and flexibility but also there focus, musicality and determination to succeed. Watching the other young children who only participate in dance lessons although they are equally as talented in their dance skills other attributes make the child with the extra hobbies and interests stand out. What I do not know however is how much the child who engages in numerous activities enjoys them and also how much time it does take of their spare time, which is necessary to develop communication and social skills, and whether this copious amount of extra curricular hobbies is the childs own choice or the colloquial ‘pushy mother’. This is a part that I could explore in my research.
Yesterday I also undertook 3hours of gymnastics training as I realise the gymnastic element of dance is an important factor especially in today commercial dance world. I was in there with very young children all being put through there paces and many of them were to stay on till 9pm, 6 hours of training after they began. I did begin to wonder what the effects of this hardcore physical training was having on there young developing bodies. It also got me thinking once again about my research project as many of the practices they introduce in gymnastics are equivalent to dance and the level of training that they continue to do if they are considered talented enough for the squad. Very much like dance, the more talented children begin to complete more vigorous practices that begin to take up more of their spare time but does this secure a successful career in this practice? Whether or not this does create a definite pathway I did see the reason of starting something young whilst I battled with my tall and developed body to begin my round off flicks surrounded by crash mats and instructors, whilst 7year olds completed the moves over and over again on 5ft high 5inch wide beams!

No comments:

Post a Comment