Enrolling originally on the course I did not know what to expect, looking back on my first few blog entries, my ideas are sporadic and distracted with no clear path, and looking back upon the time of which these were posted that was exactly how my career was panning out.
The most important strategy that was presented to me within the first module was Kolb's Learning Cycle. By using they 'feeling, watching, thinking, doing' cycle allowed me to develop what began as brainstormed ideas into a research proposal which aimed to help my organisation as well as developing my professional practice as a performer and teacher by allowing me to locate and analyse certain complexes within my work and making those more efficient.
The process of learning to write academically, rather than descriptively or in a marketing style proved invaluable when reaching the final two modules (project proposal and research project). This was a very different style of writing, and the inclusion of references was completely new to me. Although the module handbooks outlined the structure of the work a lack of straightforward instructions on how to structure and present our work were not included. This was very different from school and college (as a dancer, the ability to include footnotes in a word document was not covered!), a lot of time was wasted writing information in the wrong formats and unknown 'Uni' jargon was used so often within the handbooks, the first initial attempt of understanding each module wasn't very successful. The use of a blogging community aided my study and the explanations of the previous mis-understandings however only very few bloggers commented upon blogs, and some of the list of original bloggers haven't posted anything.
Entering the final module and the dissertation became much more relaxed as the handbook had been edited to a more user-friendly version. My advisors comments upon my project proposal and critical commentaries posted by other on blogs regarding the processes others had made gave me enough insight and confidence to start my dissertation. Once started, I saw the reason that our advisors had insisted that we must choose a topic we were interested in. The 12,000 words was just the beginning, months of research, scouring through libraries and planning survey tools required a passion about the subject. A particular favourite section of mine was the literature search, and as noted on one of my blogs,
'Must stop over indulging in google scholar, reading interesting literature on child development and elements of a professional dancers career and popping into the british library…!'
I did find much more research than was needed for the undergraduate degree however for future projects, maybe a Masters degree and development within my organisation, this literature helped shape my opinions.
In conclusion to my BAPP experience I am proud of what I have achieved and now have a further interest into academic writing alongside performing. By undertaking my project regarding the development of children I have also understood and developed my teaching methods which has allowed me to extend my knowledge and skills to other sectors, including toddlers, adults and children in areas of depravation. Each article that I read now whether in dance magazines, newspapers or the internet makes me think much more about the process of which it has been written and develop my own points of view that the writer hasn't expressed. As Kolb's cycle demonstrates, learning is continuous and I now hope from undertaking this BAPP course I can constantly learn and improve my work and skills.
I found this blog very interesting to read as it reflects my views on certain aspects of the course.
ReplyDeleteI agree that at times, the course has been challenging - not only in the content required, but in understanding the terminology and trying to figure out what is the standard way for presenting certain pieces of work, such as the proposal.
Personally, I did not enjoy the research however, I too have found it benificial to my career and likewise, I now read articles with a more critical eye.
I look forward to watching your presentation in January!
This was a well written entry with a personal feel interspersed with academic phrases. The opening statement is strong and focused and includes the key word “journey”. This journey is focused on throughout the piece and describes the growth of the researcher from beginning to end. The reflection of processes and how these have aided you were clear, as well as being very work base specific. Some of the sentences lacked appropriate grammar and punctuation although overall it was well structured. It was interesting to read about the obstacles that were overcome by using the blogging community. The sentence about the 12000 words being just the beginning of the project was brilliant and very apt. The end of the piece was equally as strong as the beginning with emphasis being placed on continuous improvement and how the learning from the course was implemented in your everyday life.
ReplyDeleteRosina,
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly enjoyed reading the critical commentary of your learning across the BAPP course and particularly like the quote you added from one of your learning logs stating your passion for the literature review. I agree that this extra literature that you ended up finding will be beneficial to you if you decide to pursue further academic studies and the fact you have practiced this skill to a high degree will be valuable to you throughout your professional career.
You must be extremely proud that your project has enabled you to develop your teaching methods, thus improving your practice, that in itself is a huge achievement.